With a trio of whole grains, wild and brown rice and barley, this is packed with nutrition. Add half-and-half and Parmesan cheese, and you’ve got one satisfying side! Barb Templin — Norwood, Minnesota
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine broth and wild rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in barley and brown rice; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until grains are tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and celery in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice mixture, cheese, cream and pepper; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Rice and Barley Pilaf in Healthy Cooking February/March 2010, p33
Reviews for Rice and Barley Pilaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 31, 2011
"Perfect the way it is. Delicious!"
Reviewed Feb. 7, 2010
"needs more spices, not sure what, but will experiment."