Ribs with a Kick Recipe
The meat just falls off the bones of these slowly grilled spareribs. My mom created the delicious sauce, tweaking it until it suited my dad's taste to a T. I have to agree with him that these ribs are the best I've ever had.—Desiree Whittaker, Rathdrum, Idaho
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Grill: 2 hours 5 min. YIELD:5-6 servings
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup spicy ketchup
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 to 6 pounds pork baby back ribs
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the brown sugar, water, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Liquid Smoke if desired, mustard, chili powder, paprika and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10-12 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the salt, onion salt, garlic salt and pepper; sprinkle over ribs.
- 3. Grill ribs, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-3/4 hours or until tender.
- 4. Set aside 1 cup barbecue sauce for serving. Brush some of the remaining sauce over ribs; cook 20 minutes longer, turning ribs occasionally and basting with sauce. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 5-6 servings.
1 serving (1 pound) equals 889 calories, 55 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 214 mg cholesterol, 1,524 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 43 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC