Ribs, Sauerkraut and Dumplings Recipe
- 3 pounds pork spareribs or country-style pork ribs, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Paprika, optional
- 1. Place ribs in a 3-qt. baking dish. In a bowl, combine sauerkraut, water, brown sugar and caraway seeds; spoon over ribs. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Beat egg and milk; add to the dry ingredients and stir with a fork just until combined. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto hot sauerkraut mixture. Cover and return to the oven for 20 minutes. If desired, garnish with parsley and/or paprika. Yield: 6 servings.
8 ounce-weight: 635 calories, 35g fat (13g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 1236mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 39g protein.
Reviews for Ribs, Sauerkraut and Dumplings
"the meat and sauerkraut were nice. the dumplings-a disaster."
"It was quick and easy, however, I browned each rib on all sides, before I put them in the casserole dish. I'll make this again for sure."
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer