- 3 pounds pork spareribs
- 1 large head cabbage (3-1/4 pounds)
- 1-1/4 pounds uncooked ground beef
- 1 pound uncooked ground pork
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 package (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- Place ribs in two 13-in. x 9-in. in baking pans. Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, remove core from cabbage. In a large kettle, cook cabbage in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove outer leaves when softened. Return cabbage to boiling water until 12 leaves are softened and removed. Save remaining cabbage for another use.
- Remove thick center veins from the leaves. In a bowl, combine the beef, pork, onions, rice, garlic, salt and pepper. Place about 1/2 cup on each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides; roll up, starting at an unfolded edge.
- Drain ribs. Spread 1/4 cup tomato puree and 1 cup sauerkraut in Dutch oven. Layer with ribs, 1 cup sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, remaining sauerkraut and remaining puree. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 45-55 minutes or until ribs are tender and a meat thermometer inserted into cabbage rolls read 160°. Serve with a slotted spoon or thicken juices if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Ribs 'N' Stuffed Cabbage
Sort By :
The best stuffed cabbage recipe I have ever had and the short ribs are out of this world!!! Thanks Paul Joseph Yuhas!!!
I grew up in a polish family and this is the only way I saw stuffed cabbage made. It brought back some memories..I will be making it this week for sure!! Thank you!!