"No one will guess they're eating lighter when you serve moist slices of this pretty pumpkin bread with a ribbon of cream cheese inside," assures field editor Beth Ask, Ulster, Pennsylvania.
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- For filling, combine the cream cheese, sugar, flour and egg whites in a bowl; set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the pumpkin, applesauce, egg, egg whites and oil. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves; add to pumpkin mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- Divide half of the batter between two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Spread each with filling; top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 loaves (14 slices each).
Originally published as Ribbon Pumpkin Bread in Taste of Home October/November 2002, p11
Reviews for Ribbon Pumpkin Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review