Ribbon Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. For filling, combine the cream cheese, sugar, flour and egg whites in a bowl; set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, beat the pumpkin, applesauce, egg, egg whites and oil. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves; add to pumpkin mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- 3. Divide half of the batter between two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Spread each with filling; top with remaining batter.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 loaves (14 slices each).
1 slice: 107 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Ribbon Pumpkin Bread
"The cream cheese ribbon layer adds a special touch to this moist pumpkin bread. A favorite"
"Tastes good, I don't change anything except substitute pecans for the walnuts, both times I have made it, it came out very flat also...."
"Pretty good, my kids enjoyed this very much!"
"This is the best 'lite' pumpkin bread recipe out there. I make this every year by request."
"The recipe I had included orange zest in the cream cheese layer. It came from a BEST BREADS recipe booklet I received years ago - at least 15yrs, - from Taste of Home."
"I can't find my original recipe for pumpkin ribbon bread ( the not low fat version) either - please offer that one as well - I have made it for gifts for years with great success - that is the version I want. Thank you."
"I have a recipe from one of the Reiman Publications for pumpkin ribbon bread, It is NOT the low fat version one featured here & it came from Cathy Van Sickle, Kokomo, Indiana. The picture shows the bread cut on a bread board with two paper doilies under it. I do not know what magazine it came from but I was looking for the reviews on this other bread & the low fat one by Beth Ask, Ulster, Penn. which you feature above, is the only one shown. Could you find the other one I am requesting & feature that one also? Thanks much."
"Respone for "jdhorn" regarding which magazine the recipe is from. They did list the magazine, the name is under the nutritional analysis in smal print to the right side."
"Did not rise at all! I used 1-1/3 cup whole wheat flour and 1/3 cup all purpose flour, since that was all I had. I also only had about 1/3 cup applesauce. I ended up adding a lot more cinnamon and some pumpkin pie spice, otherwise it was too bland. I also didn't put in the ribbon or walnuts. It tasted fine but I was really disappointed in how flat it turned out."
"Joene Bohlmann October 14, 2010Our Pastor Lori made this for Bible Study yesterday and all in our group really enjoyed it. Very moist and tasty. Can't wait to try it myself."
"LOVE this recipe! I switched it up today - I skipped the ribbon altogether. For the batter, I substituted 2/3 c. of whole-wheat flour, I used three eggs instead of one whole egg and two whites, and I omitted the canola oil. A little extra pinch of soda, and I swapped the nuts for dried cranberries. AWESOME!"
"Made this 3 times so far. It is really good and has taken 1st place at the fairs i enter."
"This is pretty good! I'll definitely be making it again."