- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- For filling, combine the cream cheese, sugar, flour and egg whites in a bowl; set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the pumpkin, applesauce, egg, egg whites and oil. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves; add to pumpkin mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- Divide half of the batter between two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Spread each with filling; top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 loaves (14 slices each).
Reviews for Ribbon Pumpkin Bread
"Tastes good, I don't change anything except substitute pecans for the walnuts, both times I have made it, it came out very flat also...."
"Pretty good, my kids enjoyed this very much!"
"This is the best 'lite' pumpkin bread recipe out there. I make this every year by request."
"The recipe I had included orange zest in the cream cheese layer. It came from a BEST BREADS recipe booklet I received years ago - at least 15yrs, - from Taste of Home."
"I can't find my original recipe for pumpkin ribbon bread ( the not low fat version) either - please offer that one as well - I have made it for gifts for years with great success - that is the version I want. Thank you."