Three ribbons of flavor—cherry, chocolate and poppy seed—combine into one tender, Neapolitan-style cookie. My mom made these when we were kids. They are so good. —Karlyne Moreau, Yakima, Washington
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red candied cherries, chopped
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Line a 5-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pan with waxed paper; set aside. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into thirds. Add cherries to one portion; spread evenly into prepared pan. Add melted chocolate to second portion; spread evenly over first layer. Add poppy seeds to third portion; spread over second layer. Cover with waxed paper; refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Yield: 20 cookies.
Originally published as Ribbon Icebox Cookies in Cooking for 2 Winter 2008, p11
Reviews for Ribbon Icebox Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review