- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef ribeye roast (7 to 8 pounds)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine or additional beef broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine salt, thyme and pepper; rub over roast. Place fat side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° 3 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Transfer to a warm serving platter. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for gravy, pour pan drippings and loosened browned bits into a 4-cup measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving 1/4 cup; set drippings aside. In a skillet, saute the mushrooms and onion in reserved fat until tender. Add tomato paste; cook and stir until combined. Remove from the heat.
- Add enough beef broth to reserved drippings to measure 3-1/2 cups. In a large saucepan, combine flour, wine, lemon juice and broth mixture until smooth. Stir in mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Slice roast and serve with gravy. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Rib Roast with Madeira Gravy in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2006, p43
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Rib Roast with Madeira Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Gravy Recipes >
- Mushroom Condiments >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >