Rhubarb Terrine with Raspberry Sauce Recipe
I'm a retired home economist who loves to make desserts and share them with family and friends. To easily cut this dessert, first dip a sharp knife in warm water, dry it, then slice. Lucile Cline, Wichita, Kansas
- 1-1/4 pounds rhubarb ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed
- Line a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with plastic wrap; set aside. In a large saucepan, bring rhubarb and 1 cup sugar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-14 minutes or until thickened and rhubarb is tender, stirring several times. Remove from the heat. Cool completely, about 25 minutes, stirring several times to break apart rhubarb.
- In a small mixing, beat whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Fold into rhubarb mixture. Transfer half to a prepared pan. Cover and freeze for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate remaining rhubarb mixture.
- Stir ginger into ice cream; spread 1-1/2 cups over rhubarb layer. Cover and freeze for 30 minutes. Refrigerate remaining ice cream mixture.
- Spread remaining rhubarb mixture over the ice cream layer. Cover and freeze for 1 hour. Spread with remaining ice cream mixture. Freeze until firm.
- For sauce, drain raspberries, reserving juice. In a blender, combine raspberries and 2 tablespoons of juice; cover and process until pureed. Press through a fine sieve; discard seeds and pulp. Stir remaining sugar into raspberry mixture. Add enough of the remaining juice to measure 1-1/2 cups.
- Remove terrine from the freezer 15 minutes before cutting. Serve with raspberry sauce. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Terrine with Raspberry Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p210
Reviews for Rhubarb Terrine with Raspberry Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review