Rhubarb Tart with Shortbread Crust Recipe
- 3-3/4 cups chopped fresh rhubarb (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground pecans
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring rhubarb, sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir until thickened and rhubarb is tender. Cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until mixture is smooth; set aside.
- 2. For crust, place the flour, pecans, butter, confectioners' sugar and salt in a food processor; cover and process until crumbly. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. tart pan with removable bottom. Bake crust at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, peel and rhubarb mixture until blended. Add butter; cook until butter is melted, whisking constantly. Stir in food coloring if desired; pour into prepared crust.
- 4. Bake at 350° 12-15 minutes longer or until center is almost set. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Rhubarb Tart with Shortbread Crust
"My husband loved it and gobbled it down! He couldn't get enough! It wasn't tart enough for me. I was expecting a tangier taste. Whipped cream on top is a nice touch."
"What a delicious recipe! I did not have a tart pan, so I used a springform pan instead...worked just fine. Even my husband, who is not a huge fan of rhubarb, enjoyed this. I will definitely make it again!"
"Definitely a keeper! Decided to use a 10-11" tart pan to hold all the crust and filling.9" seemed too small, but the picture shows a thicker filling than we had. Still tasted wonderful. Maybe the lemon is a bit strong? Followed the recipe as written."