What a pleasure it is to set out a basket of these rhubarb muffins...although the basket doesn't stay full for very long! I have six children and two grandsons, so I do a lot of baking. The snacks are based on a coffee cake recipe.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb.
- Fill paper-lined or greased muffin cups three-fourths full. For topping, combine the pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Rhubarb Streusel Muffins in Country Woman March/April 2002, p31
Reviews for Rhubarb Streusel Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review