Rhubarb Strawberry Torte Recipe
- 6 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 24 ladyfingers, split
- Fresh strawberries and additional whipped cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring rhubarb, water and 1/2 cup sugar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Cool slightly. Set aside 1 cup rhubarb liquid for glaze. Place rhubarb and remaining liquid in a blender or food processor; cover and process until pureed.
- 2. Return to saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in vanilla. Cover and chill for 1 hour or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Meanwhile, for glaze, combine reserved rhubarb liquid and remaining sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; whisk into boiling mixture. Cook and stir until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in food coloring if desired. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Gradually fold whipped cream into rhubarb mixture. Arrange 17 split ladyfingers on the bottom and 26 around the edge of an ungreased 9-in. springform pan. Spread half of the rhubarb mixture into pan. Arrange remaining ladyfingers over rhubarb mixture; carefully spread with remaining rhubarb mixture. Cover and chill overnight. Carefully spread glaze over top. Remove sides of pan. Garnish with strawberries and whipped cream. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 305 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Rhubarb Strawberry Torte
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.