Norma Wehrung of Getzville, New York writes, "This pretty dessert has been a special favorite for years. Recently, it received raves from my card club."
- 6 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 24 ladyfingers, split
- Fresh strawberries and additional whipped cream
- In a large saucepan, bring rhubarb, water and 1/2 cup sugar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Cool slightly. Set aside 1 cup rhubarb liquid for glaze. Place rhubarb and remaining liquid in a blender or food processor; cover and process until pureed.
- Return to saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in vanilla. Cover and chill for 1 hour or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, combine reserved rhubarb liquid and remaining sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; whisk into boiling mixture. Cook and stir until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in food coloring if desired. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Gradually fold whipped cream into rhubarb mixture. Arrange 17 split ladyfingers on the bottom and 26 around the edge of an ungreased 9-in. springform pan. Spread half of the rhubarb mixture into pan. Arrange remaining ladyfingers over rhubarb mixture; carefully spread with remaining rhubarb mixture. Cover and chill overnight. Carefully spread glaze over top. Remove sides of pan. Garnish with strawberries and whipped cream. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Strawberry Torte in Taste of Home April/May 2004, p10
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Rhubarb Strawberry Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review