This recipe has become a favorite with us. My husband never liked rhubarb until he tasted this pie...now he asks me to make it often!
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/4-inch pieces)
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons orange marmalade, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and tapioca. Add fruit; toss to coat.
- Gently stir in the juice, marmalade if desired and orange peel. Let
- stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a deep-dish 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even
- with edge. Fill with fruit filling. Roll out remaining pastry; make
- a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cover edges with foil.
- Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and
- rhubarb is tender. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 329 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 203 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.