Rhubarb/Strawberry Pie Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/4-inch pieces)
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons orange marmalade, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1. In a large bowl, combine sugar and tapioca. Add fruit; toss to coat. Gently stir in the juice, marmalade if desired and orange peel. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 2. Line a deep-dish 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with fruit filling. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cover edges with foil.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and rhubarb is tender. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 367 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Rhubarb/Strawberry Pie
"Excellent taste and consistency."
"Love the blend of rhubarb, strawberries and orange. Great pie!"
"Very good recipe. The orange added an extra level of flavor. I did not use the marmalade and I use clear gel instead of tapioca."
"Nice and tangy"
"The best. Husband and I loved it as did all of my friends. Skipped the marmalade as I didn't want too much orange taste."
"We are really enjoying it but, I used frozen rhubarb & should have drained them some before I mixed them with the sugar. I had way too much liquid and it ran over the edge of my plate when I poured it in. Knowing that there was too much liquid, I baked it on top of a cookie sheet to catch the run over & good thing I did!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.