Rhubarb Strawberry Coffee Cake Recipe
We have a rhubarb patch, so I'm always looking for recipes featuring this "fruit". I've served this coffee cake to people who say they don't like rhubarb, and they've always told me how much they enjoyed it.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:15 servings
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in rhubarb and strawberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. In another bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; stir in crumb mixture just until moistened. Spoon two-thirds of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon cooled filling over batter. Top with fruit mixture and remaining batter.
- 3. For topping, combine sugar and flour in a small bowl; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and cake is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 415 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC