Rhubarb Strawberry Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in rhubarb and strawberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. In another bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; stir in crumb mixture just until moistened. Spoon two-thirds of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon cooled filling over batter. Top with fruit mixture and remaining batter.
- 3. For topping, combine sugar and flour in a small bowl; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and cake is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 415 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Rhubarb Strawberry Coffee Cake
"double the filling"
"Some of the instructions make no sense. Note after it asks you to spoon cooled filling over batter, then it asks you to top with fruit mixture. Isn't the filling and the fruit mixture the same thing? Confusing!This needs to be corrected."
"Amazing! No rhubarb yet but I used peaches and blueberries that I had leftover in the freezer and it was to die for! Definitely a keeper and making again with rhubarb!"
"This is very good. I did not have rhubarb so I used frozen mixed berries. This takes a little while to prepare but its worth the wait.My family loves it."
"Thia recipe is fab, and although it takes a little work and a few ingrediants-it's worth it!! Make sure you cook it long enough-otherwise it's a gooey-yet yummy middle of the cake :)"
"This is our favorite rhubarb recipe! I make it over and over again. It's great!!"
"If you want a cake to impress your guests~don't bother looking any further! This is one recipe that is asked for again and again. With that being said, I'm going to make it to take to work today!"