Rhubarb Squares Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups diced rhubarb
- 1. Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- 2. For filling, blend flour and cream in a bowl until smooth. Add 1-1/4 cups sugar and egg yolks; mix well. Fold in vanilla and rhubarb. Pour into crust. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until a sharp knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- 3. Meanwhile, make a meringue by beating egg whites until stiff. Add remaining sugar and beat again until stiff peaks form. Remove cake from oven; top with meringue immediately and broil lightly. Yield: 20-24 servings.
1 piece: 199 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Rhubarb Squares
"Perhaps one of the absolute best deserts I have ever made,( and I have made many) It melts in your mouth, especially when it is slightly warm. 5 stars from me!!!"