- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups diced rhubarb
- Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- For filling, blend flour and cream in a bowl until smooth. Add 1-1/4 cups sugar and egg yolks; mix well. Fold in vanilla and rhubarb. Pour into crust. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until a sharp knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make a meringue by beating egg whites until stiff. Add remaining sugar and beat again until stiff peaks form. Remove cake from oven; top with meringue immediately and broil lightly. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Squares in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p13
Reviews for Rhubarb Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 16, 2009
"Perhaps one of the absolute best deserts I have ever made,( and I have made many) It melts in your mouth, especially when it is slightly warm. 5 stars from me!!!"