Rhubarb Soup Recipe
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 inches)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup white grape juice or white wine
- Toasted sliced almonds, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, 1 cup water, sugar and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into rhubarb mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Remove from the heat and discard cinnamon stick. Stir in grape juice. Serve warm or cover and refrigerate overnight. Garnish with almonds if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 167 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.