Rhubarb Shortcake Dessert Recipe
When I serve this dessert, it's always a hit. My family request this dish often.—Carol Jean Gallagher, Ukarumpa,
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 6 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1. Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- 2. In a bowl, beat egg yolks; add the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in the rhubarb, cream and orange peel; pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Immediately spread over hot filling, sealing edges; sprinkle with nuts. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool for at least 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 490 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 157 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC