Rhubarb Shortbread Squares Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 4 to 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, bring the rhubarb, sugar, water rand salt to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir into rhubarb mixture. Cook and stir until gelatin is dissolved. stir in food coloring if desired. Cover and refrigerate until cooled, about 2 hours.
- Fold in whipped cream. Spread over crust. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Cut into squares. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Shortbread Squares in Taste of Home April/May 2003, p49
Reviews for Rhubarb Shortbread Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 12, 2011
"This is a very pretty dessert that I served for a girls only dinner. The only thing I made a mistake on was in not using real unsalted butter. It came out a little salty but that was my fault. I should have been paying attention to the recipe"