- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed (3-4 stalks)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add rhubarb; toss to coat.
- In another bowl, whisk cream, milk and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 4-5 times. Divide dough in half; pat into two 6-in. circles. Cut each into eight wedges. Place wedges on parchment paper-lined baking sheets; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 16 scones.
Reviews for Rhubarb Scones
"These are awesome, and the perfect size -- not too big. The cardamom and rhubarb play so well together. Was worried I wouldn't be able to find whole wheat pastry flour, but there it was in the baking aisle. It even comes in small bags, so you don't have to buy a ton for one recipe. Next time, I'm increasing the rhubarb to two cups, but will probably add a little more sugar, too."
"Nice and tender with a slight cardamom flavor. I took these to a church potluck and people were tricked into eating and enjoying them thinking they contained strawberries! They were surprised to learn the truth! This was a good way to use up my extra rhubarb. Actually I increased the amount of rhubarb and it was still good."
"Great recipe! Love the tart little bites of rhubarb."
"This recipe is a keeper, thank you for sharing. :)"