Rhubarb Scones Recipe
My grandfather grows rhubarb and gives us a great supply. The tartness is similar to a cranberry—perfect for tossing into a scone. — Danielle Ulam, Hookstown, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed (3-4 stalks)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coarse sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add rhubarb; toss to coat.
- 2. In another bowl, whisk cream, milk and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 4-5 times. Divide dough in half; pat into two 6-in. circles. Cut each into eight wedges. Place wedges on parchment paper-lined baking sheets; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 16 scones.
1 scone (calculated without coarse sugar) equals 166 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC