Five ingredients are all you need for this lip-smacking sauce that's ideal over reduced-fat ice cream. "We even like it warm over biscuits with a dash of cinnamon and a dollop of whipped cream," writes Evelyn Gebhardt from Kasilof, Alaska.
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Reduced-fat no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream
- In a saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar substitute, water and
- nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8
- minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in
- vanilla. Serve warm or cold over ice cream. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup sauce (calculated without ice cream) equals 26 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 fruit.