Rhubarb Sauce Recipe
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Reduced-fat no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar substitute, water and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm or cold over ice cream. Yield: 5 servings.
1/4 cup sauce (calculated without ice cream) equals 26 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 fruit.