Rhubarb Sauce Recipe
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Reduced-fat no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream
- In a saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar substitute, water and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm or cold over ice cream. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Rhubarb Sauce
Sort By :
Maybe it was the nutmeg, but I did not care for the taste of this sauce. I have made rhubarb sauce many times in the past with just sugar and water. This did not taste at all the same.
I have made this multiple times, with sugar substitute and using 1/3 cup sugar. Both ways were good.
I have made rhubarb sauce for years but never added water to mine when cooking. There is enough water in and on the rhubarb from washing it that no additional water is necessary. I don't add the nutmeg or vanilla, either, but might try with a little. I've used Splenda in place of regular sugar, too, and it works well.
Mom made this all the time when I was growing up - we used to eat it on toast or crackers or just plain!! Mom made it without the nutmeg and vanilla.
I add cinnamon to mine and use on my English muffin for breakfast