Rhubarb Relish Recipe
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool; store in the refrigerator. Relish is a nice condiment for poultry, pork or beef. Yield: 3-1/3 cups.
1/4 cup: 173 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), trace protein
Reviews for Rhubarb Relish
"I used white sugar and doubled the Rhubarb (folding the extra Rhubarb through at the very end). Gives it a pale colour and a lovely pink hue. Super stuff!"
"This relish was extremely good! I made half a recipe since only my husband and I would be eating it - made more than a cup. I used dark brown sugar but I think next time I will use light brown sugar. The relish was dark in color and I think it would have looked a bit more appetizing if it wasn't - maybe light brown sugar will help. I served it with pork last night and will try it on ham tonight."
"I used 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar for part of the vinegar called for and used 2 onions. It was wonderful..as a spread on crackers and with beef!"
"I've made this so many times I can't count. It goes with everything and my husband loves it even with Thanksgiving turkey. Try it with ham or pork or any poultry. My only suggestion would be to look at it after 30 minutes and you might want to let it simmer for a little longer until it gets to the consistency you like."
"I've made this several times..it's a fantastic favorite! Use this on a brat..WOW! My family will beg for more when the jar is empty."