Rhubarb Puff Recipe
I came up with this recipe one day when I had some cooked rhubarb left over and needed a dessert for my husband and me. It's also good served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. -Shirley Kasbee, Hadley, Pennsylvania
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 egg whites
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the rhubarb, 1/4 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons water. Cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until rhubarb is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into rhubarb mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, combine egg yolk and sour cream until smooth. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add the remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into the egg yolks mixture.
- 3. Pour half into a greased 6-in. ovenproof skillet. Spoon rhubarb mixture on top; spread with the remaining egg mixture, sealing edges to sides of skillet. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1/2 each) equals 226 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 74 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC