Rhubarb Popover Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup canned pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs and milk.
- 2. Place butter in an 9-in. pie plate; heat in a 425° oven for 3-5 minutes or until butter is melted. Meanwhile, stir egg mixture into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Carefully swirl the butter in the pan to coat the sides and bottom of pan; add batter. Bake at 425° for 16-20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute rhubarb and pineapple in butter until rhubarb is tender. Stir in brown sugar; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Pour into the center of puffed pancake; cut into six wedges. Serve immediately with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 279 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Rhubarb Popover Pie
"This goes together very fast. The dough part sure does puff up. My filling was very thick, then I probably used extra rhubarb. I used frozen rhubarb from the freezer to get it used up, but thawed first. Waiting for my rhubarb to get big enough this spring so I can make it again."
"I had never made a popover before, it turned out great. I am guessing that I didn't cook the pineapple/rhubarb sauce long enough. The flavor was good, it wasn't very pretty and was too runny."