This fabulous spring breakfast "pie" is also delicious when pineapple or even fresh strawberries are mixed in with the rhubarb filling. Yum!—Patricia Kile, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup canned pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs and milk.
- Place butter in an 9-in. pie plate; heat in a 425° oven for 3-5 minutes or until butter is melted. Meanwhile, stir egg mixture into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Carefully swirl the butter in the pan to coat the sides and bottom of pan; add batter. Bake at 425° for 16-20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute rhubarb and pineapple in butter until rhubarb is tender. Stir in brown sugar; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Pour into the center of puffed pancake; cut into six wedges. Serve immediately with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Popover Pie in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p157
Reviews for Rhubarb Popover Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review