Rhubarb Pinwheels Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 to 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- Few drops red food coloring, optional
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and milk; add to crumb mixture, stirring just until moistened. Turn out onto a floured surface. Roll into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Brush dough with melted butter; sprinkle with sugar and top with rhubarb. Carefully roll up dough, jelly-roll style, starting with the shorter side. Cut into 1-in. slices. Reshape the slices as needed to form round pinwheels.
- 2. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. For syrup, bring water and sugar to a boil in a saucepan. Cook and stir until sugar has dissolved. Stir in food coloring if desired. Carefully pour hot syrup over pinwheels. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 293 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 263 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Rhubarb Pinwheels
"I tried this recipe a few years ago, however lent the recipe book to someone and have not received it back. So I came to the webiste to find it and I am so happy I did. Taste great even with ice-cream and I thought it was an excellent change for a dessert."
"I used to make these many,many years ago. I need to make these again. They were really tasty. Kathy C."