- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Gradually mix in water; add butter. Bring to a boil over high heat
- and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat; add vanilla. If desired,
- add enough food coloring to turn the mixture a deep pink. Let cool.
- For dumplings, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a
- medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles small peas. Add
- milk and mix quickly but do not overmix. Shape dough into a ball. On
- a floured surface, roll dough to a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread
- dough with butter and arrange rhubarb on top. Sprinkle sugar and
- cinnamon over all. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting at a long
- end. Cut into 12 slices. Arrange, cut side up, in a greased 3-qt.
- baking dish. Pour sauce over dumplings. Bake at 350° for 35
- minutes or until dumplings are puffy and golden brown. Serve warm
- with cream if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 309 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.