Rhubarb Peach Shortcake
I RECEIVED this recipe from my mother. It's one of the first desserts I make in the spring when our rhubarb comes in.
I discovered rhubarb and peaches go well together, and the biscuits make it a hearty dessert.
-Sheila Butler, Kansas City, Missouri
5 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced peaches
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tube (5 to 6 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Drain peaches,
- reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Set peaches aside. Stir reserved liquid
- into brown sugar mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2
- minutes. Add rhubarb; simmer for 8 minutes. Stir in peaches and
- vanilla. Pour into an ungreased 8-in. round baking pan. Dip one side
- of biscuits in sugar; place over hot fruit with sugar side up. Bake,
- uncovered, at 375° for 20-24 minutes or until biscuits are
- golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 208 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.