Rhubarb-Orange Marmalade Recipe
Rhubarb and orange make a great combination in this versatile marmalade. It’s a perfect glaze for meat or poultry and tasty on toast.Joan Markytan, Elysian, Minnesota
- 6 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 6 cups sugar, divided
- 2 medium oranges
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, combine rhubarb and 4 cups sugar; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Peel rind from oranges; cut into very thin strips, about 1-in. long. Place strips in a small bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand for 30 minutes; drain. Trim white pith from oranges; discard pith. Cut oranges into 1/2-in. chunks, reserving juices. Discard membranes and seeds.
- In a Dutch oven, combine rhubarb mixture, orange peel, orange chunks with juices, walnuts, raisins and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into seven hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 7 half-pints.
Originally published as Rhubarb-Orange Marmalade in Country Woman April/May 2013, p37
Reviews for Rhubarb-Orange Marmalade(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review