This pretty torte is the perfect dessert for when company comes! And it's so simple—just spread a fruit sauce between layers of a prepared angel food cake, then frost and garnish with berries. —Sheila Long of Elmwood, Ontario
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3/4 cup frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons cornstach
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- Fresh raspberries, optional
- Prepare cake and bake cake according to package directions, using a 10-in. ungreased tube pan. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides of cake and remove from pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the rhubarb, raspberries, sugar, 4 tablespoons orange juice, orange peel and ginger. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat about 7 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining orange juice until smooth; gradually stir into the fruit mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- Split cake into three horizontal layers. Place the bottom layer on a serving plate; spread half of the rhubarb mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges; repeat layer. Top with the third layer. Frost top and sides with whipped topping. Garnish with raspberries if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb-Orange Angel Food Torte in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p39
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Rhubarb-Orange Angel Food Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review