Rhubarb Oat Bars Recipe
These soft bars provide just the right amount of tartness and sweetness. They are simply unbeatable! —Renette Cressey, Fort Mill, South Carolina
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- 2. Combine the cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into rhubarb mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, coconut, salt and remaining brown sugar. Stir in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- 4. Press half of the mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Spread with rhubarb mixture. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture and press down lightly.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 16 bars.
1 bar equals 145 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 126 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC