Rhubarb Meringue Dessert Recipe
I hear so many nice comments when I serve this special springtime dessert. I make it often when our abundant rhubarb is in its prime. It's just as homey as a rhubarb custard pie, but it easily serves a large group. —Jessica Moch Bismarck, North Dakota
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in egg yolks and cream. Add rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until set.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Spread over hot filling. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 318 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 140 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Rhubarb Meringue Dessert
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC