Rhubarb Meringue Cake Recipe
This desert looks impressive- but it's easy to make, notes Gillian Holter-Hovind from Fetsund, Norway. "When I first moved to the farm after my husband and I married, nobody here liked rhubarb," she reveals. "I'm working on changing that with recipes like this one."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 pound fresh or frozen rhubarb, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. Place egg whites in a bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in another bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks, milk and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture (batter will be thick). Place in two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans; set aside.
- 2. Add vanilla to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over batter, sealing edges to sides of pans. Sprinkle nuts on top of one pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Place layers so meringue side is up; cool completely.
- 4. For filling, combine rhubarb and sugar in a large saucepan; let stand for 30 minutes. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until rhubarb is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter, orange peel and coriander. Cool completely.
- 5. In a bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into 1 cup rhubarb filling. Refrigerate remaining filling for another use. To assemble, place plain cake, meringue side up on a serving plate. Spread with filling; top with nut-topped cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 366 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC