- greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans; set aside.
- Add vanilla to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks
- form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until
- stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over
- batter, sealing edges to sides of pans. Sprinkle nuts on top of one
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10
- minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Place layers so
- meringue side is up; cool completely.
- For filling, combine rhubarb and sugar in a large saucepan; let stand
- for 30 minutes. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until rhubarb
- is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in the
- butter, orange peel and coriander. Cool completely.
- In a bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gently
- fold into 1 cup rhubarb filling. Refrigerate remaining filling for
- another use. To assemble, place plain cake, meringue side up on a
- serving plate. Spread with filling; top with nut-topped cake. Store
- in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 366 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.