Rhubarb Ketchup Recipe
I received this recipe from a friend about 15 years ago. It's a nice surprise for ketchup lovers, and so easy to prepare. The spicy flavor makes this one of the tastiest ketchups I've ever had! —Faith McLillian, Rawdon, Quebec
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Place pickling spice on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasoning; tie securely with string. Add to saucepan. Cook 1 hour or until thickened.
- 2. Discard spice bag. Cool ketchup. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-7 cups.
2 tablespoons equals 43 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC