I received this recipe from a friend about 15 years ago. It's a nice surprise for ketchup lovers, and so easy to prepare. The spicy flavor makes this one of the tastiest ketchups I've ever had!
48 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 1 hour + chilling
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Place
- pickling spice on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners
- of cloth to enclose seasoning; tie securely with string. Add to
- saucepan. Cook 1 hour or until thickened.
- Discard spice bag. Cool ketchup. Store in airtight containers in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 6-7 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 43 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.