Rhubarb Jelly-Roll Cake Recipe
This jelly-roll recipe came from my mom's cookbook, circa 1940. It's continued to by a family classic and is popular at church potlucks. Soon, I'll be introducing this rhubarb cake to kids in my 4-H cooking class.
- 6 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, 2 cups sugar, cinnamon, allspice and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, over medium heat until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- 2. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add remaining sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Stir in extract. Combine dry ingredients; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 251 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC