Rhubarb Jelly-Roll Cake Recipe
- 6 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, 2 cups sugar, cinnamon, allspice and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, over medium heat until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add remaining sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Stir in extract. Combine dry ingredients; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Rhubarb Jelly-Roll Cake(4)
Sort By :
Followed recipe as written, no modifications-I agree with other writer-a horrible mess. Flavor okay but end result was a blob of rhubarb and it ran all over-ugh!
This recipe looked so good but turned into a mess for me. I'm not sure what I did wrong but even after adding cornstarch in an attempt to thicken the filling, I ended up with a runny mess that didn't stay in the roll but oozed out the sides. Ended up in the garbage. What a shame.