Rhubarb Ice Cream
You don't need an ice cream freezer to make this rich refreshing treat from Jan Douglas, Dent, Minnesota. "Years ago, we had a big rhubarb patch. A neighbor who knew I loved ice cream shared this recipe with me," Jan jots.
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + freezing
- 4 cups sliced rhubarb
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 to 7 drops red food coloring, optional
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a large saucepan, bring rhubarb, sugar and water to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until rhubarb is
- Stir in marshmallows, lemon juice and food coloring if desired; cook
- and stir until marshmallows are melted. Cover and refrigerate for 1
- Fold in whipped cream. Transfer to a freezer container; cover and
- freeze for up to 2 months. Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before
- serving. Yield: about 2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 236 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 17 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a