You don't need an ice cream freezer to make this rich refreshing treat from Jan Douglas, Dent, Minnesota. "Years ago, we had a big rhubarb patch. A neighbor who knew I loved ice cream shared this recipe with me," Jan jots.
- 4 cups sliced rhubarb
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 to 7 drops red food coloring, optional
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a large saucepan, bring rhubarb, sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until rhubarb is soft.
- Stir in marshmallows, lemon juice and food coloring if desired; cook and stir until marshmallows are melted. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Fold in whipped cream. Transfer to a freezer container; cover and freeze for up to 2 months. Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before serving. Yield: about 2 quarts.
Originally published as Rhubarb Ice Cream in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p45
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Rhubarb Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review