Rhubarb Gingersnap Parfaits Recipe
"I created this recipe to showcase one of my favorite garden plants - rhubarb," says Diane Halferty of Corpus Christi, Texas. "My four children are grown, but I enjoy fixing this colorful dessert for my grandchildren."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min. + cooling YIELD:4 servings
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons coarsely crushed gingersnaps
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring rhubarb and sugar to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until rhubarb is tender and mixture is reduced to 1-1/3 cups. Remove from the heat. Cool for 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Beat in confectioners' sugar. Add sour cream and extract; beat until stiff peaks form.
- 3. In four parfait glasses, place about 2 tablespoons rhubarb mixture and 1/4 cup cream mixture; repeat layers. Sprinkle with gingersnaps. Chill until serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 358 calories, 21 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 63 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC