I got this recipe from my niece's son. Since we live in apple country, we have enjoyed apple fritters for many years. This rhubarb treat is a nice change for spring when apples are few and rhubarb is plentiful.
-Helen Budinock, Wolcott, New York
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 cup sugar and salt. In a small
- bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk and butter. Gradually add to dry
- ingredients, stirring until smooth.
- Toss rhubarb with remaining sugar; gently stir into batter. In a
- small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop
- batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry a few at a time, turning with
- a slotted spoon until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dust with
- confectioners' sugar. Serve warm. Yield: about 3 dozen.