I got this recipe from my niece's son. Since we live in apple country, we have enjoyed apple fritters for many years. This rhubarb treat is a nice change for spring when apples are few and rhubarb is plentiful. -Helen Budinock, Wolcott, New York
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 cup sugar and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk and butter. Gradually add to dry ingredients, stirring until smooth.
- Toss rhubarb with remaining sugar; gently stir into batter. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry a few at a time, turning with a slotted spoon until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Rhubarb Fritters in Taste of Home April/May 1998, p29
Reviews for Rhubarb Fritters
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review