Rhubarb-Filled Cookies Recipe
I won a blue ribbon at our local fair for these tender cookies. They're so pretty with the filling peeking through the dough. When not just any cookie will do, try making these and watch the smiles appear.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (dough will be sticky).
- 2. For filling, combine the rhubarb, sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a large saucepan. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into rhubarb mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- 3. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each cookie; fill with a rounded teaspoon of filling. Top with 1/2 teaspoon of dough, allowing some filling to show. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Rhubarb-Filled Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC