Rhubarb Elderberry Crisp Recipe
Rhubarb and elderberries are quite abundant around these parts, so I combined the two in this wonderful crisp. It's been well received by our friends.
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3 cups diced fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups elderberries or blackberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside half for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with rhubarb and berries.
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and remaining sugar. Gradually stir in water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour over the fruit. Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Elderberry Crisp in Country April/May 1999, p51
Reviews for Rhubarb Elderberry Crisp(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review