Rhubarb Elderberry Crisp Recipe
Rhubarb and elderberries are quite abundant around these parts, so I combined the two in this wonderful crisp. It's been well received by our friends.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3 cups diced fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups elderberries or blackberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside half for topping.
- 2. Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with rhubarb and berries.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and remaining sugar. Gradually stir in water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- 4. Pour over the fruit. Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 302 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC