Rhubarb Elderberry Crisp Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3 cups diced fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups elderberries or blackberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside half for topping.
- 2. Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with rhubarb and berries.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and remaining sugar. Gradually stir in water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- 4. Pour over the fruit. Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup: 302 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Rhubarb Elderberry Crisp
"I have made this a couple of times and it turns out great. Nice combination of these abundant fruits. I have lots of both and I put plenty of them in the freezer to make pies and this crisp."
"Rhubarb is one of our families favorites this is a wonderful version of fruit crisp. I used brown sugar in the syrup. Very good."