Rhubarb Custard Pie Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Half-and-half cream, optional
- Cinnamon-sugar, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, lightly beat eggs; blend in milk. Combine sugar and tapioca; stir into egg mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Add the rhubarb. Pour egg mixture over rhubarb. Dot with butter.
- 2. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slit in top. Brush pastry with cream if desired.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°, bake 35-40 minutes longer or until lightly brown. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar if desired. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 501 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 83 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Rhubarb Custard Pie
"Was absolutly wonderful. Just like my mother made."