Rhubarb Custard Pie Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Half-and-half cream, optional
- Cinnamon-sugar, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, lightly beat eggs; blend in milk. Combine sugar and tapioca; stir into egg mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Add the rhubarb. Pour egg mixture over rhubarb. Dot with butter.
- 2. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slit in top. Brush pastry with cream if desired.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°, bake 35-40 minutes longer or until lightly brown. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar if desired. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 501 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Rhubarb Custard Pie
"Was absolutly wonderful. Just like my mother made."