- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until custard is set. Cool.
- For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Rhubarb Custard Bars
"These are absolutely wonderful! However, I don't call them bars, I served them as a dessert on a plate with a fork. Too tall and soft to eat with your fingers. Although, they are finger licking delicious! Rich? Yes? Yummy? You bet!!"
"I made this recipe yesterday and the only thing I would do different from now on is to cut the crust ingredients in half - I thought the crust was too thick."
"I love the filling of this recipe. Instead of the cream cheese frosting, I make a meringue topping. Delish!"
"This was amazing ... made it for Easter today and LOVED it. I cut down on sugar for both the custard filling and the topping, and it's perfect. Will definitely make this again!!"
"MJFUSA you could use half & half or whole milk instead. Anything lower fat and you'll risk the texture of the custard."
"Is there a possible substitute for the CUPS of heavy whipping cream-- too rich for my family- need to tone it down a bit?"
"Whoever came up with this recipe is an absolute genius. They are very rich, otherwise they would all be gone in no time at our house !"
"These are so good! They have moved into the favorite category! I don't change anything."
"Absolutely delicious. Rave reviews from everyone!"